The Role of a Donation Resource Coordinator
Working hard for something we don’t care about is called stress.
Working hard for something we love is called passion.
Donation Resource Coordinator
Donation Resource Coordinators respond to incoming calls from hospitals with referrals for potential donors. After conducting initial screening of calls for donation suitability, they triage those calls to appropriate staff before entering notes and details into our computer system After conducting initial screening of calls for donation suitability, they then triage those calls to appropriate staff before entering notes and details into our computer system.
Donation Resource Coordinators also contact families to offer the option of tissue donation. Donation Resource Coordinator Kim Slaton says, "The satisfaction I get in knowing I helped somebody who, in their darkest day, was able to bring light to somebody else's family."
Responsibilities of a DRC
- Receives initial local and non-local referrals for organ and tissue donors.
- Conducts initial screening on suitability for donation and triages call to appropriate party as necessary.
- Accurately enters all data related to donor referrals into Network’s data management systems by end of shift.
- Contacts potential tissue donor families via telephone and offers the option of donation.
- Makes notification of and records conversation of consent process according to all legal requirements. Obtains medical and social history from donor family.
- Communicates with Network staff and tissue banks on consented donors.
- Maintains access to DonorNet and can efficiently take organ import offers. Screens organ imports based on set criteria. Contacts transplant surgeons and transplant coordinators depending on center and can effectively communicate information regarding the organ import offer.
- Able to efficiently place initial and secondary holds on all potential tissue referrals.
- Maintains access and checks donor registries on every potential tissue and organ referral.
- Maintains competency to perform the role through ongoing education and training.
- Maintains an authorization rate at the mean of the department.
- Attends scheduled departmental staff meetings and training sessions according to managers guidelines.