2013 – 2014 BENJAMIN R. CHIRLS SCHOLARSHIP
NJ SHARING NETWORK FOUNDATION
IN COOPERATION WITH DONATE LIFE NEW JERSEY & GIFT OF LIFE DONOR PROGRAM
The NJ Sharing Network Foundation, in cooperation with Donate Life New Jersey and Gift of Life Donor Program, is pleased to announce the availability of one Benjamin R. Chirls Scholarship in the amount of $4,000 ($2,000 per semester) for the 2013 – 2014 academic year. The Scholarship recipient must be an organ, tissue or eye donor family member, transplant recipient, or awareness advocate.
NJ Sharing Network Foundation supports the work of NJ Sharing Network to increase the number of lives saved through education, research and public awareness about the life-saving benefits of transplantation. The Scholarship is awarded in honor of those who gave, to pay tribute to those who received, to offer hope to those who continue to wait, and remember the lives lost while waiting… for the gift of life.
Ben Chirls, a kidney recipient, was a strong advocate for organ, eye and tissue donation. Ben worked tirelessly for many years, ignoring physical limitations and disabilities to bring the message of donation to individuals throughout NJ as a volunteer for New Jersey Organ and Tissue Sharing Network. As Treasurer of the New Jersey Coalition of Donation he donated his expertise as a retired accountant. We are proud to award this scholarship in his name.
- New Jersey resident
- Full time high school senior, college, technical, vocational school student or current full time student at any other school of higher education.
- Organ, tissue or eye donor family member, transplant recipient or awareness advocate
- Student must be in top 50% of class
- Employees of NJSN or the NJSN Foundation, their spouse and/or children are not eligible for scholarship consideration
- Board Members of NJSN and the NJSN Foundation, their spouse and/or children are not eligible for scholarship consideration
- Three letters of Recommendation: These should be from the following: a teacher, guidance counselor, employer, clergy, activity director, etc. Please ask them to highlight your involvement in donor awareness activities; a letter from a supervisor of that organization would be helpful.
- Current Transcript (including rank and CEEB scores)
- Essay about organ, tissue or eye donation: What donation has meant in your life, knowledge of donation and active participation in awareness events. Donor awareness involves education the general public about the importance of donation. Hint: You should elaborate on your activities to promote organ, tissue and eye donation as donor awareness is the major factor in determining the scholarship award.
- After completing this application electronically, please print and mail to the address below with all requested application requirements and paperwork.
NJ Sharing Network Foundation, 691 Central Avenue, New Providence, NJ 07974
ALL THE ABOVE APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS MUST BE MET IN FULL.
ALL PAPERWORK MUST BE SUBMITTED IN ONE SINGLE PACKET.
APPLICATIONS WHICH DO NOT MEET THESE REQUIREMENTS WILL BE CONSIDERED INCOMPLETE AND APPLICANTS WILL BE INELIGIBLE.
Funding Requirements: The Awardee of this scholarship will receive the scholarship funds in two payments; one in October and one in April. The award will be paid directly to the school. Receipt of the second half of the award will be contingent upon submission of a brief report (1 typed page) describing recent achievements and activities, which will be due in February. A school transcript will be required at that time. A minimum of a C average, or its equivalent, will be required for receipt of the second half of the award.
Click Here to download your application!